Review: Deloitte study on M&A strategies in a post-pandemic environmentFeb 16, 2021
Updated: Feb 22, 2021
In M&A emerges from quarantine, Deloitte provides a solid data update about M&A during the pandemic. An important read for any CXO, Head of Strategy, Head of Corporate Development and Head of Alliance Management.
The key considerations are:
Some results are not that surprising during and after a crisis:
- M&A demand comes back stronger in the aftermath to release pent up demand.
- Crisis for one means opportunity for another.
Deloitte nicely explains other more interesting facts:
- The M&A pathways to move from recovering to changing the game.
- Much attention paid to JVs and alliances as part of the deal equation proving that partnership-based business models are core part of any long-term strategy, across sectors.
Otherwise, it’s disappointing that Deloitte perpetuates a commonly-held misapprehension that doing a partnering deal is just like doing another merger or acquisition:
- The success factors required around strategy, culture, due diligence, trust building negotiations, launch and transfer to an alliance management team are fundamentally different.
- Orchestrating value creation with, giving value to and extracting value from an external partner through deal-making requires internal resourcing, capabilities and a technology infrastructure that is fundamentally different.
Talk to me about strategies to evaluate and manage your partnerships, alliances and ecosystems.
Read the full article on allianceboard.
This review was first published in The Insights Review by the Internal Consulting Group.